Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Fabulous Friends Wednesday: Craft In Me

Jalinda is here today from Craft in Me for Fabulous Friends Wednesday! I'm excited for you to see this super duper cute project--Jalinda has the best taste ;)

Hi everyone! I am so happy to do my first blog swap here at Craft Envy with Vanessa and Nicholette!

My name is Jalinda from thecraftinme and I am a lifelong crafter with a background in making pottery too. As a busy full time working mom of a wonderful 8 year old daughter and our funny cat Fluffy, crafting will always be a great part of my life.

I’m so glad to join the crafting blog world and be amongst so many talented people who see beauty in a rusty old chair, a banged up dusty bookshelf or a plain cardboard box like this project I’d like to share today.



Using scissors I cut about 10” off the bottom portion of a tall cardboard box and leaving a few extra inches for some wiggle room.


I gave the two opposite sides a nice rounded shape to add interest. Cutting the cardboard was a little more challenging then I imagined, it helped to score the box a few times before making the cuts.

I primed the box and let dry.

Next was the black paint. I initially painted using regular acrylic paint and a sponge brush. But for the final coat, I finished with spray paint.
Let that dry.


I’ve used this fabric so many times simply because I love it, plus you can’t go wrong with black and white.


I cut a square the size of the front of the box leaving about 1/2" around the sides.

Using Mod Podge, I applied the fabric to the front. And some black ribbon around the fabric to clean up the edges.



It is not shown here, but it’s best to paint the front of the box white, underneath wherever the fabric will go. Otherwise the black shows through the fabric and the color is not so bright. (Yeah, I learned that the hard way)

Here was my favorite part, adding this simple curved drawer handle. It works so perfectly with the cardboard because it doesn’t even need screws.


The “screws” on the front are non functional, they’re just for looks.

Applying more Mod Podge I glued the drawer pull right onto the fabric and placed the box upward to let the drawer pull dry in place.

You could probably also use a hot glue gun to apply the drawer pull.

I thought this would work great as a mail holder.



And since the box is lightweight, I simply poured a cheap bag of pebbles in the bottom to give it some weight.

A great way to recycle and make it your own!

4 comments:

  1. What a delightful little piece! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I totally have all of that on hand. Can't wait to make myself a box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant idea! And no one would guess it started out as a cardboard box, definitely have to file this idea and give it a go.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails