This weekend I went to a baby shower for my SIL, who just welcomed two identical twin girls into her home! So to welcome my two little nieces, I made these very fun diaper cakes, one for each! Now that my SIL has already seen them, I can post my tutorial for you!
You will need:
-Size 2 diapers (about 60 diapers per cake)
-rubber bands of several sizes
-baby bottle or toilet paper rolls (something to be the center of your cake)
-dollar store trays
-ribbon, stickers, and anything else you want to use to embellish the cake
-hot glue gun
-double sided tape
1. Lay the diaper with the top towards you, and roll it down tightly to its bottom.
2. Wrap a rubber band around it. Repeat this 59 more times. :)
3. Take your tray and stick some double sided tape around it, and especially in the center so the bottle will stay put. It also helps so your entire cake won't slide around when you're done with it. (Pay no attention to the little helper in the back! )
4. Place a rubber band around your bottle, and then place your diapers around it.
5. I fit 7 diapers on the first layer. Now you will place a bigger rubber band around your first layer of diapers.
6. Start placing diapers within this outer rubber band. I was able to fit 13 diapers on the second layer. One more rubber band around the second layer.
7. Start your third layer, fitting the diapers in this outer rubber band. I fit 19 diapers around my outer layer. Just a tip, make sure and place the smooth side of the diaper roll out, it'll make your cake neater. Tuck the end of the roll toward the inside.
8. Now start the middle part of the cake. Same as before, a rubber band around the bottle and then two layers of diapers.
9. For the top layer I used a toilet paper roll, but you could use whatever you want to be the center of the top of your cake.
10. Your cake is finished! Now comes the fun part, embellishing!
11. Choose a pretty ribbon to cover up the rubber bands around each stack of diapers, and using very little hot glue, attach it to the rubber bands. It's looking cute already!
12. Now use your creativity and make your cake special. I added a ducky as a cake topper, a pacifier, baby socks, stickers... This is so fun!
I hope you'll give these a try for your next baby shower, they are so cute, and always a useful gift!