Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fabulous Friends Wednesday: Many Creative Gifts

Welcome to Fabulous Friends Wednesday! Today we have Phyllis from Many Creative Gifts visiting with us!

She has a tutorial on crocheting from cassette tapes...


Oh, come on, admit it, you probably have a bag (or more) tucked away somewhere that is full of cassette tapes.  Here are a couple of the ones I dug out just recently as I was cleaning out my storage bin.


Look familiar?!  Hard to believe that's Peter Frampton if you've seen him recently.

Anyway, it got me thinking about an article that I read in Inside Crochet magazine about crocheting with it!  So, I rewound the tape as best as I could, considering I couldn't find my tape player, cut it at the beginning, and started to pull some out.  I am using an H hook below.


(I kept some of the pink part at the very beginning).  I remembered from the article that you should be sure that your hands are dry and avoid doing it in humidity (a great fall and winter project!).  Now, the article also said to scrunch up the tape before using it, but that really wasn't working for me, so I just kept pulling it out and keeping it loose to make my chains and stitches.

For good or bad, it's hard to know where the hook should be inserted, so I just winged it and made as many single crochet stitches across as I felt like I wanted to (I didn't even count, but of course, that would be a good way of ensuring some form of consistency and evenness :-).  Here's what a couple of rows of single crochet look like.


The "fabric" is surprisingly soft, so a scarf or something to wear is not out of the question.  I'm not really sure what I'm going to make, but I've got plenty of tapes to experiment with!  Please post your suggestions here and some pictures on our Facebook page!  Once I come up with a project, I'll post more too.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails