Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fabulous Friends Wednesday - Laurie from Scene of the Grime

Hello friends, and welcome to FABULOUS FRIENDS WEDNESDAY!   Today we are thrilled to welcome Laurie from Scene of the Grime!  Not only did I fall in love with the fun look and vibe of her blog, I really enjoyed seeing all the creative uses she finds for everyday items!  Way to be green, Laurie!  I know you'll love her, so don't forget to drop by her blog and say hi!

FABULOUS FRIENDS WEDNESDAY: Laurie from Scene of the Grime
Hi there! My name is Laurie and I’m the Domestic Detective at my blog, SCENE OF THE GRIME. I’m so honored the gals at Craft Envy asked me to guest post today! Craft Envy is awesome – I ♥ the blog design, the variety of ideas and, most of all, the terrific tutorials!!! Scene of the Grimes blog slogan is “a heart for home • a mind for crime • a life of chronic joy” and I blog about topics from decor and thrifting to crime to chronic illness. We cover a lot of ground and have some laughs along the way!
Today, I’m sharing how to make inexpensive, cool art projects for your home or for gifts. The beauty of these ideas is they are totally customizable to the person and there’s no limit to where your creativity can go! We’re talking PoP ArT!
Here are a couple examples I’ve blogged about in the past. You can click on the labels to go directly to the posts where I tell you how I made them:
mosaics etc 014                         gum bag
In anticipation of my guest post today, I made a new pop art project and added a tutorial:
Snackalicious Desktop Organizer
pop art projects 039pop art projects 029
I made this for my ten-year-old daughter and it was easy-peasy! Here’s the 4-1-1:
1-I saved 3 moon pie boxes (shoot, we had to buy moon pies!)
2-I cut the end flaps off one end of one box, cut the 2nd box off about 1/4 the way down, and the 3rd about 1/2 the way down to provide leveled heights.
3-I used multi-colored t-shirt strips to make ties toward the top of each box rim. You’ll see me use tee strips a lot in crafting – I buy colorful good wipes from Goodwill all the time!
4-I hot glued some contrasting red-patterned scrapbook paper inside the top few inches of each box opening, covering the gray cardboard inside of the box and enhancing the color scheme.
5-Last, I hot glued the three boxes together, lining them up one behind the other. Now, it’s ready for my girl to store her stuff!
The possibilities are e-n-d-l-e-s-s in pop art design! You could theme a project for sports, a geographical location, hobbies, fave foods, funky fashions, specific colors, etc. And remember, pop art decor can be made with bold or delicate colors/designs, no limitations! Just keep an open mind and an open eye and you’ll see resources and tools right under your nose to use in your creative endeavors!
Come join me at Scene of the Grime and together we’ll sleuth out matters of style, spirit and self! I’d love to meet you!
Chronically Yours, Laurie


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails