Thursday, June 17, 2010

No Sew Purse! - Meet Furoshiki

Hi there friends!  I can't wait to show you what I've recently learned.  Have you heard of Furoshiki?  I hadn't until a week a go, and I'm in love.  Furoshiki is a Japanese technique, like origami, but for fabric! They are a type of Japanese wrapping cloth, used to transport food, gifts, or other goods.  It used to be very popular, but now, we have become too dependent on the evil plastic bag!!!  So if you're looking to go green, this is it!  I've recently learned how to make a purse, from a lady called Leticia Yabiku.  Let me show you:
Isn't that cute?  No sewing required, either, all we're going to do is fold and tie knots.
What you'll need:
- any square piece of fabric (yes, it must be a square)
Mine is 1.25 yards
-Flower for embellishment

Here we go:
Step 1: Lay down your fabric with right side facing up.


Step 2:  Fold it into a triangle, wrong side out.


Step 3: Take the right hand corner, and bring it up to meet the center of your triangle, bunch it together to make a roll.


Step 4: Tie a knot at the base.


Step 5: Do the same to the left side.

Step 6: Take the top of your triangle and open it up.  You can now see the right side again.

Step 7:  Flip the whole thing over, wrong side up. 

Step 8: Tuck your knots and straps into the middle.

Step 9:  Pick up both ends and put them together, your knots are inside now.  You can push down on the inside of the bag to stretch out the fabric.  The knots are now to the sides of your bag.

Step 10:  Turn the bag over so the knots become front and back of your purse.  Stretch and pull the fabric as you go to get the right look for you.

Step 11:  Tie a knot at the very top of your bag to make a handle, left over right, then right over left.  That's it!

You have finished your really cute purse, without having to sew a stitch.  And the best part is, if you get sick of it, just untie it and find a new and fun way to fold and tie your fabric, and you have a brand new style.

I added a flower to mine, just for some fun.  I just pinned it with safety pins.  No need to stitch it on, I might take it apart anyway one of these days. :)

I hope you liked this as much as I did, and look on YouTube for some amazing videos on how to fold your own Furoshiki. 






post signature

39 comments:

  1. I've done a little furoshiki, but mostly to wrap presents. This is the first time I've seen a purse tied like this; it's a wonderful technique with loads of possibilities. Thanks for sharing it! Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific! I used furoshiki when I lived in Japan but never folded quite like this-thanks for this technique. BTW, its a great way to use vintage kerchiefs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great explanation! I really admired furoshiki when I was in Japan but never quite got the hang of tying them myself. Thanks for sharing! Found you over at Lit and Laundry link party...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool technique! I appreciate how you don't have to permanently alter your fabric square, you can have a different look every day of the week and if you undo it and fold it up it doesn't take hardly any room to store! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! this is my kind of purse-making!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I'm totally gonna make one tonight when I get home! I love Japanese crafts, this is new to me, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I've never seen anything like this. Thank you so much for doing a no sew project. On a newlywed budget, I cant afford a sewing machine, so this is great. I love fabric crafts...looks like I'm headed to the fabric store after work! Thank you so much for this clear tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Thanks for the tute. This would be a great way to use favorite fabrics without cutting them up. Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! NO SEW is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really awesome idea Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Goodness. This is AMAZING! I just did a youtube search. You have opened up a whole new world to me. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever idea! Very cute & so simple. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is to cool and trendy! Thanks for such great directions. I am going to be trying this one out for sure!! A girl can never have to many purses!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow..that's an awesome idea...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great tutorial! I am going to make my new purse tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I've just been doing something similar so if you'd like to see some instructions for 5 other styles of furoshiki bags, please take a look at our blog http://myfuroshiki.blogspot.com/ Happy wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous! I have to try it, thanks for the tutorial! I'm visiting with CMOS, hope you visit me too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fab idea, and great tutorial!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tutorial. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG -- I'm totally saving this to make! Great tutorial and that purse is so stinkin' cute! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is amazing. Nice fabric choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Um, wow. Thanks for sharing because that is super cool. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute!! I will have to give that a try! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is SOOOO cool! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related #12! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am one who gets sick of my purses really quick! This is so great, I can have a new purse when ever I want! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How cute! I don't sew, so this is a perfect project for me!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whaaaat! Way to cute to be no-sew! I'm going to make this :) I'll let ya know when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to try it today! Love it!! Thanks so much with sharing this as you have made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks... i'm going to try it! thank u so much for sharing.

    cheers,
    puri
    http://idekuhandmade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. No sew purse is very great and very practical to use. I think everyone can do purses without spending so much effort. I also wonder if it is possible to make a no sew 18 inch dolls clothes for my daughter. So she can make it also by herself.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, my goodness! I have some vintage Marimekko fabric, and THIS is what I'm going to do with it. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great post! Cant wait to make one!

    Ruby
    GirlfriendsAreLikeShoes.blogspot.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so excited to have discovered this. I was searching for no-sew-bags and stumbled upon this. Great, easy to understand tute. I'm telling you. I am going to make bbbbbbaaaaaaggggsss. No more bag buying for me. I have tons of fabric and embelishments. Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm trying to figure out how to adapt this for sewing. I think I've got it figured out. Just sew on the inside of the gathered knot so you don't have a giant knot on the inside. Then I was thinking about doing some round bamboo purse handles. I think it'll be a great way to adapt this for a sewing project! Love the bag, hate the giant knots on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was looking for a quick bag make for an afternoon event at the weekend and this tutorial was really easy to follow and worked out so well that I blogged about it here (http://handmadebyclairebear.com/2012/05/20/i-wanna-new-bag-part-2/)
    Thanks
    ClaireBear

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi there mates, how is the whole thing, and what you wish for to say
    about this piece of writing, in my view its genuinely amazing designed for me.


    My webpage pharmacy tech schools

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails