This really funky ring is made out of a newspaper tube. Actually, the technique I'm going to share with you today can be used for so many different things! Don't be surprised if a lot of my next projects involve newspaper, I'm just fascinated by how much you can do with it. This is going to be a long tutorial, so here we go.
You will need:
-a small piece of felt
-acrylic paint in your favorite color
-small sponge applicator
-an old elastic
-hot glue gun
1. Divide the pages, you only need one sheet.
2. Fold it in thirds
3. Run a knife through the sides and divide it into three pieces.
4. Take your skewer and fold over the very tip of the paper. The sheet is horizontal on the table right now.
5. Slowly start turning the skewer so the paper wraps around it, and make sure to keep it nice and taut, so the paper doesn't unravel. Keep going till the very end.
6. Apply some glue to the very end of the paper, and fold it over so the sheet won't open up on you. (Sorry about the blurry picture)
7. Again, sorry for bad picture. You have a really long skinny tube you made with your sheet of newspaper. Make sure you remove the skewer from the bottom of your tube.
8. Start folding the edge in, applying glue as you go, so you can make your circle.
9. Keep wrapping it around, all the way to the end, applying glue as you go.
10. Color your paper disk in whatever color you like, I coated it on thick then went back and removed some of the excess with a paper towel.
11. Mod Podged it, to protect the color and the circle itself. It takes about 20 minutes for it to dry completely.
12. In the meantime, cut an old elastic to fit around your finger, and a little piece of felt to make a nice finish on your ring.
13. Using your glue gun, attach your elastic and your piece of felt to the back of your circle and let it set.
14. There you have it! A very cool looking ring!
Here are a couple of colors, don't they look different? You can make a ton of them, for dirt cheap! I had a lot of fun with this project, and I hope you'll try it.