Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How to Stain a Wood Table

I  have never stained anything in my life! So I thought it would be fun to share my learning experience with you! I have to admit I was only able to successfully do this because I had help from my dad who knows his stuff when it comes to staining.





 Before:
I mean, it wasn't ugly, it just wasn't my style. Ya know.

What you will need:

-about 300 and 400 grit sandpaper
-power sander (optional, but VERY helpful)
-Ebony (black) stain, $4
-Polyurethane varnish, about $30
-sponge brushes and 1 disposible paint brush
- rubber gloves
-rag
-plastic scraper
 -paint stripper

1. You will start by brushing on a generous layer of paint stripper to the surface of your table. The stripper will start to dry so you will want to add another couple of layers and then scrap it off with your plastic scraper. This will get the layer of varnish off the table so the stain can soak into the wood.

 2. After as much of the varnish has been removed, you can start sanding the wood with about 300 grit sandpaper. Using a power sander will take most of the elbow grease out of this job, but it's not necessary.
 

 3. After the wood has been sanded and you don't see any signs of old varnish, begin applying your stain with a rag. I allowed a full day for each coat to soak in. Towards to end you will know when your wood has soaked in as much stain as possible because it won't completely dry, but will stay tacky.

 4. After you have the desired stained look, using a sponge brush, apply a layer of polyurethane varnish. Allow 24 hours to dry, sand with 400 grit sandpaper, and add another layer. Repeat.



post signature

9 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!!

    visiting from sugar bee
    {brandi}
    {http://blakadomesticgoddess.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I never in a million years would have guessed that your table is a re-do! That black paint totally changes the entire style of the table. Fabulous results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That turned out great! I love the darker color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a table like that once upon a time! I love your redo, so shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I just found you at a Soft Place To Land. You're table came out wonderful. Who would have guessed what it looked like before. I'm your newest follower and am looking forward to come back soon to read over all your past post.

    Have a great day. Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining us for another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing transformation! Looks completely different, and so beautiful!

    http://ourveryblessednest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails