Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mary and Martha


Happy Sunday friends!  I wanted to share with you something I'm constantly battling in my personal life... my priorities.  There's good in being a Martha, and good in being a Mary, the trick is how to do both?  We do our best I guess, and pray for guidance always.  I'd love to hear how you all handle this.  Thanks for dropping by and worshiping with me today.
Vanessa

Martha and Mary



Martha was busy and hurried,
Serving the friend divine,
Cleansing the cups and platters,
Bringing the bread and wine;
But Martha was careful and anxious
Fretted in thought and in word.

She had no time to be sitting
While she was serving the Lord,
For Martha was "cumbered with serving,
Martha was "troubled" with "things"---
Those that would pass with the using---
She was forgetting her wings.

Mary was quiet and peaceful,
Learning to love and to live.
Mary was hearing His precepts,
Mary was letting Him give---
Give of the riches eternal,
Treasures of mind and of heart;
Learning the mind of the Master,
Choosing the better part.

Do we ever labor at serving
Till voices grow fretful and shrill,
Forgetting how to be loving,
Forgetting how to be still?
Do we strive for "things" in possession,
And toil for the perishing meat,
Neglecting the one thing needful---
Sitting at Jesus' feet?

Service is good when he asks it,
Labor is right in it's place,
But there is one thing better,
Looking up in his face;
There is so much he can tell us,
Truths that are precious and deep;
This is the place where he wants us,
These are the things we can keep.

Annie Johnson Flint

Luke 10:41 And Jesus answered and said untoher, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled
about many things: 42 But one thing is needful:
and Mary hath chosen that good part,
which shall not be taken away from her.

3 comments:

  1. That's food for thought. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. balance is challenging, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I struggle with that all the time. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one! I try to spend time praying and reflecting on the person God wants me to be and how to find that balance. Thank you so much for your post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails