Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fabulous Friends Wednesday - Katie from More Misadventures

Welcome to another FABULOUS FRIENDS WEDNESDAY!!  Today I am happy to welcome Katie, from More Misadventures.  I've recently found out about Katie, and I think her blog is so fun, upbeat, and inspiring!  I'm always full of ideas after I read Katie's blog.  You should check it out too!  Thanks for sharing your talents with us, Katie!


A crafty hello! My name is Katie from the More Misadventures
blog and I’m thrilled to be a part of “Fabulous Friends” Wednesday here on the amazing Craft Envy blog! A huge thanks to Nicholette and Vanessa for having me :)

I adore crafting and creating and I try to steal free moments, between working in the local ER and finishing up my MBA, for all things crafty. Life is super busy around my house and we try to fill each moment with as much love, laughter and creativity as possible. I don't have any kids yet but we just expanded our "fuzzy family" last week when we brought home three baby chicks who round out our family at seven including our German Shepherd and our cat. The newest additions add to the joy and misadventures that runs rampant in our home!

Now that you know a little bit about me...on to the crafts! I know that fabric flowers are SO in right now so I created these fun fabric barrettes for a friend’s little girl. I made two of each of the barrettes below for her little pigtails :)







They are so easy to make (think 5 minutes) and can truly be used on anything.

Here's a brief how-to:

Step 1: Cut two or three fun fabric strips in varying widths and sizes. I seriously don't even measure!



Step 2: Holding one end of the strip in your left hand, begin folding the fabric over itself (much like a pleat) repeatedly while turning the strip in a circular motion with both hands to keep the rounded effect.



Step 3: Pin the fabric in place using two or three strategically placed pins.



Step 4: From the bottom of the biggest flower, hand sew a few stitches up through the flower and back to the bottom catching the folds. Layer the next flower on top, repeating the stitches from the bottom of the bottom flower through both layers. Repeat for a third layer if desired.

Step 5: Embellish! Look how different this spring flower looks by switching from a cute orange button to a layered paper flower. The options are endless.





Step 6: If you want to make the barrettes, sew on a small barrette. I bought some non-slip children's barrettes at Target.



I’ve added these adorable flowers as embellishments to bags, scarves, t-shirts, headbands, sweaters, fabric coffee cozies, modern tree pincushions and even notecards!







I know that there are many more uses that I haven't thought of yet. I'd love to see what you create with these fabric beauties! Hop over to More Misadventures for more fun tutorials and projects and leave a comment or email me so that I can get to know each of you :) We are, after all, a big crafting family!

If you do stop by More Misadventures, be forewarned, the pics of the baby chicks might just make you want to adopt some precious fuzzies of your own :)

Happy Crafting!

4 comments:

  1. These are so cute! And so easy to make. What an awesome combo :)

    Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I'm so excited to try these since i love fabric flowers but don't sew...with a sewing machine that is! Thanks so much for sharing! Now I'm going to head over to your blog and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love the one with the button center!

    Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails